A question we hear quite often in the Real Estate world is “Why should I hire a realtor?”
The National Association of Realtors has research showing the average sales price for homes sold by an agent is $65,000 more than the average FSBO home sale. For most homes in America, this will more than cover your cost of commission. It is also beneficial to have the help of a licensed professional because they can walk you through the process of buying and/or selling while providing extensive knowledge of the area and offering emotional support along the way. They handle the paperwork, negotiations, and communication with other parties involved. Having an expert in your corner can not only save you thousands of dollars, but it allows for a smoother, more enjoyable transaction.
Still not convinced? Here is a breakdown of how exactly you can benefit from hiring a licensed Real Estate Agent…
A buyer’s agent works with you to gain an understanding of your needs and wants and determines what types of properties, areas, etc. will best fit those. A good buyer’s agent will
- Help find properties that meet your needs (sometimes before they hit the market)
- Offer advice and insight on homes you’re interested in
- Have connections with contractors, inspectors, appraisers, title companies, etc and make solid recommendations
- Schedule showings and handle paperwork and negotiations
- Provide emotional support – keeps things running smoothly to ensure a successful home purchase
- Guide you through the ups and downs of the process while keeping an eye down the line to ensure no unforeseen issues arise
A seller’s agent will educate you on the basics of the process to help get your home sold in a timely manner and for top dollar. They will
- Get an accurate value/list price for your home by looking at comps in the area
- Offer expert advice on getting your home ready to sell including staging, boosting curb appeal, etc
- Get your home maximum exposure by listing it on your local MLS as well as high traffic sites such as Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, etc. They also invest in professional photos and print/online advertising for your property
- Handle paperwork and negotiations
- Offer emotional support and guidance throughout the process
If you are not receiving these services or feel you are not being represented well, you should discuss this with your agent. For most of us, a home is the biggest purchase we will make in our lifetime, so it’s important to feel comfortable throughout the process.
As always, if you have any questions, we are here to help!